Personalized Tips for Preparing your Home for Sale
- 1.) After finishing dinner, do you:
- a.) Leave everything on the table and come back later to clean up?
- b.) Clear the dishes from the table, put leftovers away and stack the dishes in the sink for morning
- c.) Clean the table, put away the leftovers, wash the dishes and put them away right after dinner.
- 2.) Your home office has a desk that is:
- a.) Covered with papers, receipts and random objects.
- b.) Piles of papers with enough room to do your work – you can still find what your looking for, with a little effort.
- c.) Clean and neat. Everything has its place and papers are filed right away.
- 3.) You’ve just finished your laundry, do you:
- a.) Leave the clothes in a pile on a chair. It’s easier to find them later this way.
- b.) Fold and put the clothes in any drawer with available space.
- c.) Fold and put away your clothes in their appropriate drawers.
- 4.) In your household you have:
- a.) A dog or cat that is allowed indoors.
- b.) A smoker who often / always smokes indoors.
- c.) None of the above.
- 5.) How do you accessorize your home?
- a.) I like to display personal mementos, souvenirs & family photos around my home.
- b.) I love accessories; I display eclectic, ethnic & antique items around my home.
- c.) I prefer clean and tidy surfaces and display few decorative or personal items.
- 6.) Which of the following best describes your home?
- a.) My home is eclectic and fun with bright colors and accessories throughout.
- b.) My home is traditional with warm paint colors and lots of dark wood.
- c.) My home is in a modern and simple style with neutral colors and few accessories.
- 7.) Spring has arrived and your yard is in need of some maintenance, do you:
- a.) Rake the yard and generally get rid of debris.
- b.) Clean the yard of debris and mow the lawn.
- c.) Clean the debris, mow, clear the weeds, apply fertilizer and plant new flowers.
- 8.) Which best describes your home:
- a.) I haven’t had time to properly decorate most of my home and a couple of smaller rooms are used for storage. Some minor repairs need to be done around the house.
- b.) The main areas of my home are decorated and furnished but I never got around to properly decorating and furnishing the guestroom. Some minor repairs are still waiting to be fixed around the house.
- c.) I have taken the time to properly furnish and decorate every room. I have also undertaken several renovation projects throughout the years.
- Whats your Score?
- 1 point for every “a” answer
- 3 points for every “b” answer
- 5 points for every “c” answer
If your score is between 8 – 16
Roll up your sleeves and get working to prepare your home for sale. Based on your responses, your home will need deep cleaning and de-cluttering before showings start.
Deep clean making sure each room and surface is spotless. Make sure to remember the appliances and windows.
Get rid of the clutter to allow buyers to properly see your home. Pack away unnecessary items and make sure counters and tables are free of appliances and personal items. If any rooms are used for storage alone, pack away everything you don’t use, you may need to rent a storage space. Furnish the rooms – Don’t leave them empty – buyers will have a hard time visualizing living in a space without any furniture.
Put away collectibles and family photos to help depersonalize your home. Buyers will be able to imagine themselves in your space better without your personal items around.
Although your fun sense of decor and color may suit your personality, go neutral for the sale. Adding a fresh coat of neutral paint and getting rid of unusual accessories will ensure that your home appeals to a larger pool of buyers.
If pets or a smoker live in your home, remember that you probably won’t notice the smell if you’re around them all the time. Have a trusted friend give you an honest opinion. Deep clean to get rid of the odor.
Lastly, don’t forget curb appeal. First impressions count, and buyers begin to form an opinion as soon as they pull into your driveway. Keep your yard neat and tidy with your lawn and shrubs trimmed and flower beds filled with seasonal color and weeded. Store away children’s toys and garbage bins and give the exterior of your home a good wash or a fresh coat of paint.
If your score was between 17 – 32
Here are a few easy steps you can take to make your home more appealing to buyers.
Clean your home from top to bottom, making sure you pay special attention to kitchens and bathrooms. Make sure to de-clutter and reorganize your home. Remove any excess furniture to enhance the feel of openness and space. Storage space is a top priority for buyers, so clean and organize your closets and storage areas. Get rid of anything you don’t need and make sure your closets are not overflowing with items.
Brighten and lighten up your home with a fresh coat of neutral paint. Soft neutrals give a house a nice sophisticated look that appeals to most buyers.
Store away your eclectic accessories and create more room on your counters and tabletops. Your unique items may be an expression of your personality but they might also make it hard for buyers to visualize themselves in the space.
And last but not least, fix that leaky faucet and any other minor repairs that you’ve been neglecting around the house.
If your score is between 33 – 40
Your home is in top shape and will only need a little bit of work to bring in that sale.
One great way to stimulate buyers imaginations is to set the scene. Put fresh flowers on the mantle and set the dining room table for a formal dinner. If it’s a cold day, light a fire in the fireplace. Look at your home through the buyer’s eyes and create an atmosphere that will help them envision themselves living there.
To further enhance your home’s curb appeal, spruce up your flower beds with new flowers and ground cover to give the exterior additional touches of color.
In this competitive market, homes are taking longer to sell and buyers have many choices. Setting your home apart will be critical to get top dollar for your home.
Having professionals on your team will be important – Staging your Home to Sell is just one of the critical services we provide to our clients.
Call us today to discuss how we will make your home a star!
Cathi & Ben Walter
(760) 218 – 5752